Scheme on Corporate Summer Internship on the Mainland and Overseas 2019
The Government is committed to providing quality internship opportunities on the Mainland and overseas to broaden the horizons of Hong Kong young people. In March 2018, the Government forged partnership with local major companies to launch the Scheme on Corporate Summer Internship on the Mainland and Overseas on a pilot basis for young people to intern at the Mainland and overseas operations of these companies.
In view of the success of the pilot scheme, the Chief Executive announced in her 2018 Policy Address that the Government will expand the Scheme in 2019 to provide young people with more internship opportunities in different places. The number of participating companies has increased to 18 this year, providing more than 280 internship placements in total which cover multiple industries, such as financial services, energy, property development and public utilities services. Under the Scheme, participating companies will administer and fund their own internship projects, whereas the Government will arrange high profile publicity for the Scheme and participating companies, as well as a wide range of activities for interns to enrich their learning experience and broaden their exposure. Through the concerted efforts of the Government and participating companies, we hope to groom a cadre of young talents with a global vision, good understanding of the work culture in major companies and in different places, as well as useful interpersonal networks on the Mainland and overseas.
- Participating companies will provide more than 280 quality summer internship placements for young people outside Hong Kong. Destinations on the Mainland include various cities in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xiamen and many more, while overseas destinations include Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, the United Kingdom, Sweden and Japan.
- Participating companies will bear major costs pertaining to the internship, including airfare and accommodation, to ensure that deserving young people will not be barred from joining the Scheme due to lack of means. They will also deploy dedicated staff to provide training and support to the interns.
- The Government will arrange a wide range of activities to enrich the learning experience and exposure of the interns.
Applicants have to meet the following criteria:
- being holders of valid Hong Kong Permanent Identity Cards; and
- being current undergraduate or postgraduate students.
Each participating company will provide internship placements in their offices and/or those of their subsidiary/affiliated companies on the Mainland and overseas. Details of the placements offered are as follows:
|Participating company||Number of placements||Location(s)||Duration||Industry(ies)||Details of placements|
|1.||Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited||50||Mainland (Shanghai, Chengdu), Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City), Indonesia (Jakarta), Singapore||7 weeks||Banking||https://www.bochk.com/en/career/ustudentprogramme/otherinternship.html|
|2.||The Bank of East Asia, Limited||30||Mainland (Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai)||8 weeks||Banking||https://www.hkbea.com/html/en/bea-career-summer-internship-programme.html|
|3.||The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited||24||Mainland (Inner Mongolia, Zhangjiagang, Suzhou, Jinan, Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhongshan, Qingyuan, Shenzhen)||8 weeks||Utilities / Energy||http://www.towngas.com/en/Careers/Job-Opportunities/Summer-Internship-2019|
|4.||John Swire & Sons (H.K.) Limited||20||Mainland (Beijing, Zhengzhou, Changsha, Nanning, Chengdu, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Xiamen,)||6-8 weeks||Aviation,
|5.||The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited||16||Mainland (Shanghai), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), Singapore||8 weeks||Banking||https://www.hsbc.com/careers/students-and-graduates/student-opportunities/the-scheme-on-corporate-summer-internship-on-the-mainland-and-overseas-2019|
|6.||Sino Group||15||Mainland (Fuzhou, Zhangzhou, Xiamen, Chengdu), Singapore||6-8 weeks||Property management, hotel industry||https://sino.com/en-US/Careers/Pilot-Corporate-Summer-Internship-Scheme|
|7.||Esquel Group||14||Mainland (Foshan), Malaysia (Penang)||8 weeks||Modern Industry (Textile and Apparel Manufacturing)||https://www.esquel.com/internship-program|
|8.||China Mobile International Limited||12||Mainland (Beijing, Shenzhen), Japan (Tokyo), Thailand (Bangkok)||6 weeks||Telecommunication||https://www.ydc.gov.hk/files/programmes/ip/ip_corporate_item_8.pdf|
|9.||CLP Holdings Limited||12||Mainland (Guangdong, Guangxi, Yunnan, Shandong), Vietnam (Hanoi), Thailand (Bangkok) and India||6 weeks||Energy||http://clp.to/corporatesummerinternship|
|10.||Henderson Land Group||12||Mainland (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou)||8 weeks||Property development||https://www.hld.com/tc/job/hld_joblist.shtml|
|11.||MTR Corporation||12||Mainland (Shenzhen, Beijing, Hangzhou), United Kingdom (London) and Sweden (Stockholm)||7 – 8 weeks||Railway operations, property||http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/corporate/careers/internship.html|
|12.||New World Development Company Limited||12||Mainland (Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Wuhan, Shenyang)||8 weeks||Property development/Retail||https://www.nwd.com.hk/people/internship-programme|
|13.||Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited||12||Mainland||6 weeks||Banking||https://sc.taleo.net/careersection/sc1/moresearch.ftl?lang=en
(keyword: corporate summer internship, location: Hong Kong)
|14.||Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited||12||Mainland (Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou)||8 weeks||Property development||https://www.shkp.com/en-US/Pages/internship-programme-mo-features|
|15.||Hang Lung Properties Limited||10||Mainland (Shanghai)||8 weeks||Property development||https://hanglung.com/en-US/our-people/career-opportunities/hong-kong/human-resources/intern-0211|
|16.||The Wharf Group||10||Mainland (Shenzhen, Foshan, Chengdu, Chongqing)||7-16 weeks||Hotel industry, property management||https://www.wharfholdings.com/file/career/CorporateSummerInternship.html|
|17.||CLSA Limited||8||Mainland (Shanghai, Beijing), Thailand (Bangkok) and India (Pune)||6 weeks||Banking||https://www.clsa.com/internship/|
|18.||Link Asset Management Limited||5||Mainland (Guangzhou)||6-8 weeks||Real estate asset management||https://www.linkreit.com/en/careers/youngProfessional/?contentType=STP|
Application Method and Notes for Applicants
- Interested applicants must complete and submit the online application form at or before 23:59, 22 March 2019 (Hong Kong Time). Applications submitted via other channels will not be accepted.
- Applicants should carefully study the information relevant to the Scheme on this webpage before completing the online application form.
- Unless otherwise specified, applicants may choose to complete the online application form in either Chinese or English. However, an applicant should ensure that he/she is using the same language to complete the online application form and that all information provided is accurate.
- Should an applicant fail to provide all information as requested correctly, his/her application may not be considered or processed.
- An applicant is required to provide personal information, education background, work / community service / extra-curricular experience (if any), company(ies) at which he/she wishes to intern, as well as a statement of not more than 400 words / characters as self-introduction and elaboration on the reasons why he/she is interested in this internship scheme in the online application form.
- Each applicant should only submit one online application form for the Scheme. He/she may choose to apply for internship placements offered by up to three different companies and indicate the order of priority accordingly. The applicant may choose to indicate his/her preferences on the functional area of placement. No changes could be made upon submission of the application form. Multiple applications submitted by the same applicant may not be considered.
- After the application deadline, the Government will forward all applications to the relevant companies for processing and consideration. Each company will only be informed of the priority that an applicant has accorded for that company, and will not have access to other choices made by the same applicant (see Example*). The company(ies) concerned may contact the applicant and administer their own recruitment exercises as appropriate, including seeking additional information from applicants and conducting interviews / written tests as necessary.
- Recruitment and selection of interns under the Scheme will be administered by the respective participating companies. Participating companies decide on their own whether to select an applicant, and will notify him/her direct. For enquiries related to the details of internship placements and recruitment matters of participating companies, please contact the companies concerned direct.
- The personal data provided by an applicant in the online application form will be used for recruitment purposes under the Scheme and other purposes related to the Scheme. The personal data will be provided to the company(ies) at which the applicant has chosen to intern, as well as other government bureaux, departments or organisations authorised to process the information for aforesaid purposes.
*Example: If an applicant indicates “Company A” as his/her first choice, “Company B” as his/her second choice, and “Company C” as his/her third choice, “Company B” will only be informed that the applicant has selected “Company B” as his/her second choice, but will not know what other company(ies) the applicant has also chosen.
Deadline of application
Applications have closed at 22 March 2019 (Friday) 23:59 (Hong Kong Time).
For general enquiries related to the Scheme, please contact the Home Affairs Bureau at:
Telephone Number: 3509 7033
Email Address: email@example.com
For enquiries related to the details of internship placements and recruitment matters of participating companies, please contact the companies concerned direct.